Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Monstrous Birthday Bash


Two weekends ago Neal & I were in my hometown of Virginia to celebrate two milestone birthdays: My mom's 60th and my grandfather's 90th. Unfortunately, due to a tractor accident (see details here), my grandfather, known to me as Poopa, couldn't be at the party. He was still recovering in the hospital. We did, however, give him birthday wishes via a video camera, and for the last 45 minutes of the party, those who were still around were able to talk to him via skype!

Hat ladies skyping with Poopa.

The party was a hit! We probably had somewhere between 85 and 100 people. My mom had a great time visiting with everyone and got to see a lot of relatives she doesn't see that often. It was a lot of work on our end, for we were the caterers. The menu included: ham biscuits with a choice of either country and city ham (salty and honey baked) and five different condiment options, potato salad, coleslaw, chick pea salad, fruit platter, cheese platter, vegetable patter with spinach dip and of course cake! The rolls and cake were from Ukrops. But we made or chopped up everything else. We also had tea (sweet and unsweet) and a raspberry punch. 

From left:
Cracker basket, veggies with spinach dip - in a bread bowl!,
cheese platter, chick pea salad, fruit platter, coleslaw, potato salad

The cakes were decorated with special colors. For my mom, her favorite color: red. And for Poopa: Virginia Tech colors! 



My mom brought Poopa's cake (we had the entire cake left over!) to him once he was settled into the skilled nursing facility; he moved there from the hospital the Monday after the party. I think he liked the colors.

About a month before the party, my mom made butter mints and decorated them with at least five different vibrant colors. (Butter mints freeze well.) You can see them on the cake table.

It was great to spend time with family and see people I rarely see. Also, we had a gorgeous day! 74 and sunny. I couldn't have asked for a better day. Oh, except to have Poopa there in person!

Clockwise from left:
Neal & me with my grandparents; my niece, Susannah; the brother, J.W., with his youngest, Emily; Emily & me

4 comments:

  1. How fun! And I love your dress -- so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! It was a lot of fun. And SUCH a gorgeous day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all sure do have a lot of spinach-related ahtums.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...